11 East Street Cafe is located in Camp area, Pune. It is know for it’s ambiance that looks like a London street. They also have a Red Bus at the entrance which works as Desserts counter. Another interesting thing about this cafe is, the Bollywood song Prem Ki Naiyya from the movie Ajab Prem ki Ghazab Kahani was shot here with Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif.
This restaurant serves Global cuisine, a bit of everything. Years ago, I first tasted creamy Mushroom Pasta here. It was lovely back then. I made a quick visit here last Sunday to see if it’s still the same. The old man who serves near the entrance is not very welcoming.
Here’s what I ordered:
1. French Onion Soup: It had no cheese on top as expected. What’s worse is the bread crouton was not toasted and I could find just one tiny slice of onion in the soup. It was served with two rock-hard Garlic bread slices.
2. Poutine: Poutine is a Canadian specialty consisting of French Fries topped with a gravy-sauce and cheese curds. However, the Poutine here didn’t have any gravy. It was plain Fries with cheese curds. They forgot to salt the Fries slightly even though there was no gravy. With some added salt, it tasted fine, but it’s not authentic.
3. Pan Fried Chicken Schnitzel: The chicken was nice and crispy on the outside, but was rubbery and hard inside. Had a tough time cutting it. It was topped with a nice creamy sauce and few veggies on the side.
4. Fusili Pasta in Crema Fungi Mushrooms: This is the dish I went back for. Fusili in creamy mushroom sauce. It tasted pretty good with a generous number of Mushroom pieces. It was served with two Garlic bread slices which weren’t as hard as the earlier bread.
5. Chocolate Vodka Lava cake: This sounded really interesting. I’ve eaten numerous chocolate-lava cakes, but chocolate-vodka lava cake was something new. However, it didn’t look pretty on the plate. The chef had heated the cake more than required which resulted in the lava spilling out of the cake completely before serving. It was topped with ice-cream. It tasted good. One can hardly taste vodka in the strong chocolate lava.
Luckily, food is not priced exorbitantly and the prices mentioned in the Menu are including taxes. This means, you won’t have a big shock when you see the bill. I feel this restaurant should concentrate on one or two cuisine/s rather than having mediocre global food.
To sum it up: Food, staff and service are average. Ambiance is nice, but it’s freaking hot during the day with only Fans to cool the place. It’s not worth your money.
My rating: 2/5.